Jesus walking on water. Who had seen that before? Certainly not I and assuredly not His disciples. Jesus had just fed the 5,ooo bread and fish and the Bread of Life. Coming from praying to His Father, Jesus was on His way to His disciples. Late at night, Jesus went to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples (in the boat) saw Him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “Take courage. It is I. Don’t be afraid,” He told them. ” Lord, if it ‘s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” Jesus said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out His hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” He said, “why did you doubt?”
There are so many messages here for us to learn about having courage or having doubt!
1. Take courage in your bad day. Be brave in the face of adversity. (wrecking into your daughter’s car in the driveway and oily rags creating spontaneous combustion in the 104 degree summer heat) True stories!
2. Do not be afraid. Have courageous faith.
3. Come, go to Jesus. Get out of the boat, moving in faith when He calls to you to a new work, a new job, a change in attitude.
4. Do not look at the waves, your checkbook or your circumstances. Look into His loving face of grace instead!
5. Immediately Jesus saves when we call out to Him. So, do call on His holy and all powerful name, Jesus!
He will reach out His hand to you when you ASK Him to help you.
6. Praise Him! Receive Jesus for who He truly is, the Son of God. (Vs.33)
I have found it true, until we go through our sufferings, we do not really KNOW our Lord. We start to understand Him in the fiery trials
because we experience Him and His loving and faithful care when the heat is the hottest, all round us!
7. There is healing in Him. People, in their faith of who Jesus IS, knew that touching His cloak was as good as touching Him because it contained the healing power of who He Is. (vs. 36)
Call on Jesus and be saved, healed and touched by His loving faithfulness, 100% of the time!
Matt. 14: 22-36 NIV